Saturday, October 6, 2007

A Day In The Life

How is this working out for me? Well, it's good. But it's busy and the days are long!

I get up about 5:30 AM. This is my quiet time. That's when I straighten up the house, take a shower and get dressed, then fix the girls' breakfast while they are still sleeping. It's difficult to do much of anything with two little cyclones running around. I also check my email before I wake the girls.

Usually I wake the girls at 7:00 AM, give or take 30 minutes depending on what time I need go et to the shop. Sometimes I have special orders that I need to get together or finish and get to get in a bit earlier. Sometimes I have everything done the night before and don't need to get in so early. After the girls wake up, it gets hectic!

Breakfast is always fun. I don't mean that sarcastically at all. This usually my favorite time of the day. Ember and Kaida sit in their highchairs, in their PJ's, eating and sometimes throwing their food. They laugh and chatter. I love to watch them early in the morning with their little sleepy eyes. I love to hear their excited babbling and the few words they know. I sit back and take it in. This is what I did all this for in the first place. Seeing them learning and playing, laughing and growing. That is what is fun.

Getting the girls dressed can be a battle. Often it's a bit like putting clothes on a squirrel. They are still wanting to play. They twist and turn and climb, while I chase them around. I admit that it can be frustrating. Particularly if I am in a hurry. But sitting here now, telling you all about it, I can laugh. Yes, these are part of the fun times too.

It's about a 25 minute drive from our house to my shop in Christchurch. I open the shop at 9 Am but I like to get there by 8:30 AM if at all possible, if not earlier. I hate to open the shop in a rush. It takes a few minutes to unpack the car and get the girls settled in the little playroom I have set up in the back storeroom. It's a wonderful place for them to hang out. There are lots of toys they can play with. Lots of animals and dolls. I also have a television set up with a DVD so they can watch video cartoons and animal videos if they want. They usually don't sit still long enough for that though.

When I open the shop, if there are customers I will chat with them or help them if they need it. Most of my regulars want to see the girls also, so either I bring them out or the customers will pop into the back. One lady, in particular comes in at least 2 or 3 times a week just to see the girls. She will sit in the back and play with them for a while. She is an older lady without grandchildren. I suppose Kaida and Ember are bit of a substitute. I have this lady since I started working in the shop, years before I owned it.

In between customers, I make crafts and things to sell. I love making pagan themed crafts, such as wands, jewelry, chalices, and other things that can be used in rituals or decorating. That's why I love the shop so much. It allows me to make crafts and money at the same time.

When it's time for the girl's lunch, I microwave what I brought for them. I usually cook lots of food on the weekends and freeze it. That way, all we have to do is microwave it and it's almost like having a fresh cooked meal when I don't have time to cook. They eat lunch much the same way they eat breakfast, loud and messy. There is a lot of cleaning up to do when they are finished! After lunch, it's time for their naps. Sometimes they go right to sleep after they eat, sometimes not.

While the girls are napping, I clean up their lunch mess and have my lunch. Of course, that depends on customers but there isn't usually much going on around lunch time. After my lunch, it's back to crafting or research or doing the accounts. I don't really have a set schedule on when I do what. It just depends on what is a priority for the day. I also try to make my incense, or oils, whatever requires herbs or other things like that, while the girls are sleeping. It's too tempting for them if they are awake.

I close the shop at 5:00 PM unless there is some event going on that might bring people in later. Then it's home for the night. The girls and I play outside if it's still daylight left. If it's dark, there is screened back porch on our house that we play in. It's almost like playing outside. The girls certainly consider it outside. I prepare supper around 7:30 PM. Sometimes we have friends over, or my parents might drop in. The one thing that my mother admits I am good at is cooking. It's a bit of a triumph for me, I must admit. Of course, I am vegan and for most part feed my girls the same way. She doesn't think that's right at all. I can live with it. I have lived with a lot worse criticism from her.

Bath time is a great time as well. It's messy and water gets everywhere. I thinks that's all part of it and it's fun. I bath both girls at once, so they play and splash water. I am usually just as wet at the end of it as they are. Then it's back to getting dressed, this time in PJ's, and chasing the squirrels around the bed.

With any luck, the girls will be tired and go to sleep pretty quickly. But that doesn't always happen. Either while they are sleeping or playing, I come online and check my email, do my blog, go on myspace or Cafemom. I usually spend too much time online and get to bed way to late.

I try to be in bed my 12:00 AM. Sometimes the girls have other ideas. Last night, for example, it was very nearly 3:00 AM before Kaida went to sleep. Today, I admit, I am tired! I can't wait to get back in bed. It's not going to happen for a while yet though. Oh well, it's worth it!

Well, that's a day in the life of me, six days a week at least. I will tell you about Sundays tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hon, Wow, you are a very busy girl. I just wanted to say how wonderful a mother and person I think you are. You are doing a excellent job as a single mother and I think that's great!!!!!