Friday, October 5, 2007

Ember and Kaida

Have you ever watched identical twins playing together? It's very interesting. Ember and Kaida are my identical twin daughters. They turned 15 months old today. Watching them playing together is like watching a movie. Either it's as if you are looking at two sides of a mirror or it's like watching an action movie.

Often they will sit side by side playing exactly the same thing. They talk alot. Most of it is babble with a few meaningful words thrown into the mix. Although I rarely know what's going on or what they are saying, they seem to understand each other perfectly. These are the fun times. I like to videotape them. Later I plan on making a movie from them to have when they are older.

Then there are the action movie times. These are the times you will want to bring popcorn and a comfortable chair to. They run, they chase, they squeal, they laugh, they jump, they dance, they talk, they sign. Ah, they make a mess! Yes, they fight. Boy do they ever fight!

Sometimes they tie up and it's hard to separate them. They are bad about pulling each other's hair. It's a stage I hope. Kaida hit Ember in the face with a plastic truck a week ago. Ember bites too. That's always fun. They both have lots of teeth already.

I don't mind so much that they fight. I think that it would be unnatural if they didn't fight. They are perfectly normal little girls, even if they are growing up in a way that is a bit unconventional.

They are very sweet children. They look like me. I am glad of that. I as was a little afraid that maybe they would end up looking like their anonymous father. I didn't want that. I know that one day they will ask me about their father. Although I am not sure what I will tell them. The truth, I suppose. I don't believe in lying to children. I wonder how they will take it. What questions will they ask? It's going to be quite an experience. I hope that between now and then, I will be able to come up with a really good answer. I hope they don't resent me for this decision that I have made. I hope they don't think me selfish. I hope.

No comments: